In-house laboratory features;
• We have a well-equipped laboratory on-site, allowing us to perform microscopy, urinalysis, haematology, and biochemistry. We also have separate analysers for measurement of blood glucose, lactate, and clotting times (APPT and PT), as well as SNAP tests for specific diseases including pancreatitis, feline AIDS and leukaemia viruses, and canine parvovirus.
• In-house analysers allow us to obtain results very rapidly, and these will be reported within 24 hours of sampling.
• These tests can be run every day of the week.
External laboratory features;
• More specific blood and urine tests, as well as in-depth cytology, culture and sensitivity, and histopathology are performed using an external lab (Idexx), based in Yorkshire.
• Samples are collected each weekday evening (weather permitting!) by an overnight courier.
• Results are processed with variable turnaround times depending on the requested test. This can vary from 1 day to 3-4 weeks. Additionally, some tests are only performed on certain days of the week (e.g. canine/feline proBNP).
• Your pet’s vet will indicate when results are to be expected.
Interpretation and reporting of results;
• Once results are received, for both in-house and external samples, then your pet’s vet will call you to discuss them with you. Please ensure that we have your correct contact details in order for them to do this.
• If you haven’t heard back from the vet within the estimated turnaround time, then please call to request a telephone appointment, and they will call you back when available.
• Please note that results may not be sent through from the lab until the end of the day (6pm).
• Additionally, due to our evening consultation times and vets dealing with other patients, your pet’s vet may not be able to ring you until the end of their working day (7pm), or potentially the following day if they are dealing with an emergency.
• In the case of complex results or late receipt, then the vet may prefer to email you their interpretation with a copy of the results, as well as the recommended plan going forward. Consequently, please also ensure that we have your email address on file.
Read more about Lab Samples on our FAQs page!